Process Accounting on a Linux Cluster

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry at cs.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 27 15:11:12 PDT 2000

Erik Paulson wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Dan Yocum wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:36:34 -0500
> > From: Dan Yocum <yocum at linuxcare.com>
> > CC: beowulf at beowulf.org
> > Sender: beowulf-admin at beowulf.org
> > Subject: Re: Process Accounting on a Linux Cluster
> >
> > Users are only allowed access to a master or I/O node on a cluster and
> > jobs are submitted from there.  This is an integral part of all batch
> > and beowulf processing systems.
> >
> > Dan
>
> Bah - this is not an integral part, this is merely convenience for the
> admin.

A number of us have found that, in fact, for both administrative and
security reasons, not allowing node login has been a *GOOD* thing.  It's
not merely convenience.
Gerry Creager -- gerry at cs.tamu.edu
Network Engineering			|Research focusing on
Academy for Advanced Telecommunications |Satellite Geodesy and
and Learning Technologies		|Geodetic Control
Texas A&M University	979.458.4020  (Phone) -- 979.847.8578  (Fax)