Apps for testing Beowulf2

Daniel Ridge newt at scyld.com
Thu Oct 12 12:18:00 PDT 2000

Daniel,

Check out our online documentation.

The simple answer to your question is:
	'mpi_mandel -np 4'
or
	'mpirun -np 4 mpi_mandel'
or
	'NP=4 mpi_mandel'

Where 4 is the total number of jobs you wish to run. By default, np=2 for
jobs without another specification.

One of our magical MPI features is the library constructor that allows
us to bundle the 'mpirun' features inside programs that are linked against
our MPI library.

The constructor code runs just after the dynamic linker, and just before
your application starts. At this point, we use BProc and our version of
MPICH to bproc_rfork() copies of the job off to the nodes. That's part of
the magic that allows us to sidestep rsh entirely -- but keep our MPI
patch small. Our MPICH is actually more like a port of p4 to bproc --
and MPICH builds essentially unmodified on top of that.

'mpi_mandel' is a simple application we whipped up to show a pretty
picture. It is also linked against our performance counter libraries and
ought to tell you how many flops it's achieving. Keep in mind that it is
a gnome application and sacrifices a little raw performance for interface
interactivity.

'tachyon' should also be installed on your system if you're running our
distribution. This is John Stone's excellent MPI-aware ray tracing
package. Documentation is included.

Good luck and thanks for the feedback,

	Dan Ridge
	Scyld Computing Corporation