Motherboad decision

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Tue Nov 14 08:10:31 PST 2000

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Felix Rauch wrote:
> We will soon buy a new cluster mainly for research in OS and
> middleware, but we are yet undecided between two motherboards:
>
> - Supermicro Motherboard: SUPER 370DE6

This board has an intel ethernet chip, adaptec dual channel U160 SCSI, AGP 4x
slot, and uses the HE chipset.

> - Asus Motherboard: ASUS CUR-DLS

This board has the same intel ethernet, LSI dual channel U2 SCSI controller,
onboard ATI graphics, no AGP slot, and uses the LE chipset.

The supermicro board with the HE chipset should have higher memory bandwidth,
as the HE supports memory interleaving.  I haven't been able to find anyone
selling the 370DE6 motherboard yet.  Tyan supposedly makes a few serverworks
boards that are similar to these models.  Supermicro also makes some LE
chipset motherboards, like the 370DLR, that would be more comparable to the
ASUS CUR-DLS.