Supercomputing performance at 1/10th the cost

Mark Lucas mlucas at imagelinks.com
Mon Nov 13 09:52:15 PST 2000

I am in the process of preparing a report on the use of our Beowulf
cluster on satellite and aerial image processing.  Our experience is
that the cluster is a very good solution for our problem - coarse
grained, extremely CPU bound.  I've read in several explanations of
Beowulf clusters that they can provide equivalent super computing
performance for 1/10th the cost.  I believe this to be true, but
would like to back it up with some example cases.  Can anyone point
me to cost/performance analysis that they have performed?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
--
Mark R Lucas