Mounting from nodes

Jon Tegner tegner at nada.kth.se
Sun Nov 5 05:00:38 PST 2000

Hi,

These days hard disks are cheap and it is not unusual to have more
space on the nodes than what is needed for the system. And if the
users require lots of space (and if the number of nodes is not too
large) I was wondering if it is a bad idea to mount a "home" partition
from every node to all other nodes in the system? I.e. node i exports
home_i to every other node, while it mounts (mount -t nfs
nodej:/home_j home_j (for j .ne. i)) the corresponding partition from
all other nodes in the cluster?

Also, now that openafs has been released

(http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/afs/?dwzone=opensource)

it might be better to use that instead of nfs?

/jon