Take any two: motherboard performance, compatibility, value

Adam Lazur alazur at plogic.com
Fri Jun 30 09:46:52 PDT 2000

Josip Loncaric (josip at icase.edu) said:
> the part about difficulties with SMP was not quite stated right.  'ecc'
> may be SMP capable, but even when SMP switches are enabled in Makefile,
> 'make' reports lots of compilation warnings and 'insmod ecc' complains
> as follows:
>
> ecc: unresolved symbol proc_register
> ecc: unresolved symbol pci_find_class
> ecc: unresolved symbol jiffies
> ecc: unresolved symbol printk
> ecc: unresolved symbol add_timer
>
> Obviously, something has changed in the past year, so that old SMP
> compilation commands no longer work.  I do not know the reason.

Hmmm. I'm compiling it okay using kernel 2.2.16 and ecc-0.9 (though I
picked up an ecc-0.11.tgz somewhere as well). I editted the Makefile to
make my CFLAGS a bit more kernel_module_compile looking:

CFLAGS= -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -D__SMP__ -pipe
-fno-strength-reduce -m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2
-malign-functions=2 -DCPU=686

The module seems to insert fine into the SMP kernel, though I don't have
any bit flipping occurring (though it could be doing so and somehow not
telling me).

I also cc'd the ecc mailing list in hopes of getting a definitive answer
on the SMP ability of the ecc module.

.adam

--
[                  Adam Lazur <alazur at plogic.com>                     ]