[Announce] The jobd Load Balancer

Borries Demeler demeler at bioc09.v19.uthscsa.edu
Thu Jun 8 07:45:58 PDT 2000

> I need GNU Make, so BSD pmake is out.  Customs GNU Make doesn't work properly
> and isn't maintained. PVM GNU Make may work, but didn't for me, I also have the
> feeling that this is too much of a hack to be relied upon.  GNU Queue was
> close, except that it breaks under load.  Generic NQS was too big (too slow for
> short jobs, to complex).
> Fixing GNU Queue wasn't an option for me, with all due respect that is by far
> the ugliest code I've seen in a long time.

I haven't tried it, but maybe someone else has and can comment: Doesn't
Mosix allow for automatic process migration such that you could invoke
a compilation with make -j <number_of_nodes> and have it compile in parallel?

In any case, I would like to know if this is a feasable route for parallel
compilation. Has anybody tried this and how would it compare in speed to
something like jobd?

Thanks for all responses!