Athlon + PC133: no ECC?

Sean Ward SeanWard at msn.com
Wed Jun 7 10:15:54 PDT 2000

    I'm currently using two Athlon 750 systems based on the VIA KX133 (abit
KA7 mobos). It does indeed support ECC RAM, although finding PC133 ECC ram
is rather difficult, as the Athlons are very particular about the ram they
use. Several name brand rams, including Mushkin and Crucial turned out to be
unstable. However, if you can find a good provider of PC133 ECC ram, the
~450 mbps stream figures the KA7 and an Athlon 750 turns in are not bad for
commodity parts. As for other items, once you get decent ram in the systems,
they are rock solid. My one box has been up for 30 days so far (thats when I
built it). As far as the MTTR and DMA drive support, just grab the newest
patches from www.linux-ide.org   for ULTRA66/100 support, and use a recent
kernel revision (such as 2.2.15) to have athlon MTTR support.
-Sean