new SGI Origin & Onyx 3k?

W Bauske wsb at paralleldata.com
Wed Jul 26 20:39:48 PDT 2000

Greg Lindahl wrote:

> > > For the customers I'd like to have, frequently.
> >
> > Note the "Like to have". Also, you don't address the first
> > question so I'll assume you agree people don't do that unless
> > it's for benchmarks from your statement.
>
> Wes, I have no interest in getting into a dicksize flamewar. All I wanted to
> do was make the pithy comment that SGI shouldn't call it scalable if it only
> goes small. If you think I'm unqualified to make an off-the-cuff remark,
> please feel free to ignore it.

No flame war intended. Sorry if it seemed that way.

> There are people who DO use 1,000+ nodes for non-benchmark purposes. I DO
> work with them already. I don't think my experience is very relevant to
> making comments about scalability; anyone can look at the Top500 list and
> other sources and get an idea where supercomputing is going.

I agree there are very large set of machines out there.
What I said was that most jobs run in parallel are not on
those size systems. Practically no one but the government
own that size of system so by default the rest of us are
running on smaller systems. The large systems are an exception,
not the rule. Smaller systems are the norm. That was my main
point. Your using a large system is outside the norm and
I do believe you run benchmarks, not daily/weekly/monthly
production runs producing some results with an application.
If I don't understand what you do, please correct me.

Wes