ssh madness

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Thu Jul 13 11:44:59 PDT 2000

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > dear all,
> >
> > on the front end, we compiled the following in tarball form:
> >     ssh-1.2.27/
> >     ssh-2.0.13/
> >
> > and on the nodes, we installed the following rpms:
> >     [p at n01]$ rpm -qa | grep ssh
> >     ssh-1.2.27-1
> >     ssh-server-1.2.27-1
> >     ssh2-2.0.13-1i
> >
> > and the two sets of ssh packages are definitely not happy with each other.
> > ssh2 doesn't seem to work (ssh2 == ssh):
> >
> >    [root at wulfgar ssh]# ssh2 -l p n01
> >    Disconnected; protocol version not supported (Illegal protocol version.).
> >
> > but ssh1 seems to work fine.
> >
> >    [root at wulfgar ssh]# ssh1 -l p n01
> >    p at n01's password:
> >
> > i need help.  can someone tell me why ssh2 is complaining about illegal
> > protocol version?  it looks like both machines should have ssh 2.0.13.
>
> I wish I could help, in part because I've encountered the same problem
> and never did solve it.  My solution was to fall back to the 1.2.27
> version everywhere.  Another thing that is reputed to work is to use the
> OpenSSH product, which seems to be less broken and more backward
> compatible than the 2.0.x line.

Just get rid of the commercial ssh stuff and switch to openssh/openssl.
It supports ssh1 and ssh2 (without having to deal with the problem of
running ssh2 in ssh1 compatibility mode). You don't have to worry about
the ever changing licence conditions, etc, ...
OpenSSH works out of the box. You don't have sftp, but scp works just as well.
For Canadians and the rest of the free world (all those who don't have to
worry about restrictions on software that does encryption, RSA license
madness, ... :-) you can get it from here (Alberta, Canada):

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/rpm/

openssh-2.1.1p3-1.i386.rpm
openssh-askpass-2.1.1p3-1.i386.rpm
openssh-clients-2.1.1p3-1.i386.rpm
openssh-server-2.1.1p3-1.i386.rpm
openssl-0.9.5a-1.i386.rpm

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6