heterogenous clusters

Luc.Vereecken at chem.kuleuven.ac.be Luc.Vereecken at chem.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun Jul 2 21:07:48 PDT 2000

>I'm wondering if other people on this list have experimented
>with heterogenous clusters or Beowulfs: i.e. different hardware
>and operating systems?

I use a mix of IBM/AIX(4.x, sometimes different mixtures), Sparc-Sun/Solaris
2.6, and Linux.

>Two points interest me particularly:
>1) What communication systems and programming languages?
>(I use direct socket communications and Java).

I used MPI. It has the advantage of transparantly translating machine-
specific data representation (big/little-endian,...) while still being
fast enough (faster that Java I bet). While the heterogenous approach
doesn't allow vendor-optimised versions (IBM's MPI on SP,...) a distribution
like MPICH runs on enough platforms to give you the interconnectivity
you want.

>2) When you slice up a job to distribute it between nodes,
>how does slice size affect performance when large speed
>differences exist (i.e. ratios of 1:2 up to 1:5)?
>My experience indicates that (a) too small a slice gives you a
>large communication overhead, and (b) too large a slice makes
>you lose time at overall completion while the slower nodes
>finish up their last slice.

I use two ways to get around the speed difference problem (which in
our setup is around 1:10 or 1:15, depending on which machines I use).

1. Don't use slices, but groups of slices, where the slices are fairly
small (but e.g. fixed in size if it is easier to deal with in your
application), and the groups contain a variable number of slices. Early in the
calculation you distribute groups with a large number of slices, and as the
number of remaining slices decreases, you decrease the number of slices
in the groups. The faster nodes finish faster, get new groups of slices
which early in the calculation are still fairly large (=low communication
overhead).  As the calculation progresses, the outstanding groups get smaller
and smaller, so the slower nodes won't stall the calculation due to the
wait time for the last group (=little loss at end of calculation). If
you use a good size of "early" group size, and a good function to
decrease the size of the groups through time (ending with 1-slice groups),
you get most of the benefits of large groups (=low communication
overhead), but strongly reduce the idle time at the end of the global
process since only small groups are outstanding by then.
I found you get most of the benefits and little of the drawbacks even with
fairly rough "initial size" and "decreasing function" guesses.
Example : 240 slices, 10 processes, I start with 10-slice-groups, and
decrease to 1 near the end.

Our program is also build on a Master-Slave paradigm. Just in case it
is run in a homogenous environment, I avoid idling the Master most
of the time, and then flooding it all of a sudden, by not giving all
of the Slave processes the same initial number of slices in a group :
example : 240 slices, 10 processes, I start with 10-slice-groups, of which
I distribute a few, then some 9-slice groups, then some 8-slice groups,
until all processes are busy.  This distributes the number of Slave-to-Master
requests through time. Since the size of the slice-groups changes through
time, the chances of the processes getting into sync on accident are remote.
It's a fairly coarse method, I admit, but it works like a charm.

2. Start a different number of Slave processes on different processors. On
processors which are 5 times faster, I start e.g. 3 Slave processes
(reducing the relative speed of the processes running on this processor)
When the slaves are idle at the end of the global calculations, they
enter a sleep-mode (blocking communinication usually does this automatically,
since it waits for a network event). The remaining processes then
get more of the fast processor, so the last Slaves tend to work through their
last slice faster, again decreasing idle time on the other processors at
the end of the calculation.
Of course, if you start e.g. polling at the end of the calculation, this
method won't work of course. For the MPICH version I use (can't remember
the version#) the blocking communication doesn't use polling, so I just
make the Slaves blocking-receive a communication from the Master (which in
our case are the specificiations of the job they have to to next).

Starting 2 or more processes per processor also tends to work nicely without
additional programming time if your Master has to work a bit on the
results of the Slave before it can send it its next job. The waiting Slave
does nothing (make sure it doesn't do polling), so the second Slave gets
all (most) of the processor which is then in near 100% productive use.

I don't try to "benchmark" the nodes to determine the chunck of work
they have to work through. The first method above adjusts automatically if
one of the fast processors becomes "slow" (e.g. due to an interactive
just sucking CPUtime all of a sudden)

Just some idea's that work nicely on our problem.

Luc Vereecken