Scyld and fstab for Diskless slaves

Chip Coldwell coldwell at frank.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 19 07:57:00 PST 2000

Interesting, so what is the mechanism for transmitting the compressed
root filesystem image to the node, if not tftp?  I suppose you could
configure the kernel to mount an NFS filesystem, retrieve a compressed
filesystem image from it, expand it into a ramdisk, and then remount
the result as /, but that's pretty kludgey.

BTW, if I'm getting close to any of Scyld Computing's IP it's not
because I want to avoid buying something from you ... it's just that I
want to make sure that the cluster I spec will work with your
software.  In particular, I'm planning to spec nodes that have no
local persistant storae whatsoever, i.e. no hard disk, no floppy and
no cd-rom (the less there is, the less there is to go wrong).  I know
this configuration will work with my NFS-root diskless configuration
because I've done it, but I like your ramdisk system better when the
network is the bottleneck (and mine better when memory is ...).

Thanks for the prompt reply,

Chip

--
Charles M. "Chip" Coldwell