Problem Booting the Slaves

Dave Leimbach dleimbac at MPI-Softtech.Com
Fri Dec 15 04:39:35 PST 2000

There is a parameter in that crash output about RAMDISK size.  If your
machine only has 16MB I think you may be out of luck.  You need to get the
kernel, some kernel related processes, and bpslave running on those slave
nodes.  Since the kernel crashed on a paging request I would assume that
this is either the root or near the root of your problem.  That would be
my best guess anyway.

The one that comes up unavailable has 256MB of RAM which is plenty of RAM
for the ramdisks.  Scyld has an option in the beowulf distribution to run
diskless.  I assume that this requires a large ramdisk that you can't get
on the 16MB node.

Dave