Why no rlogin to nodes?

Daniel Ridge newt at scyld.com
Tue Dec 12 14:01:57 PST 2000

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Jag wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Daniel Ridge wrote:

> I noticed that when you install Scyld Beowulf, that while the slave
> nodes don't run much, it looks like every service possible was turned on
> for the head node, from finger, telnet, lpd, smtp, ntalk, even apache's
> running.

We do what RedHat does (via heritage).

Out of the box, Scyld ships an '/etc/beowulf/fstab' that would like
to use NFS for '/home' -- but you don't even need that.

Beyond that, the Scyld preview relied on rdate to set the clocks on the
nodes. This meant 'inetd' on the frontend.

We've ejected that requirement from our upcoming release with the
following piece of code:

(Beyond that, you can turn off everything on the frontend...)

--------------------------
/* bdate: set the date on a node
 *
 * Written 19^H^H2000 by Daniel Ridge <newt at scyld.com>
 *   in support of Scyld Computing Corporation.
 *
 * The author may be reached as newt at scyld.com or C/O
 *   Scyld Computing Corporation
 *   410 Severn Ave, Suite 210
 *   Annapolis, MD 21403
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2000 Scyld Computing Corporation
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
 * (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
 *
 * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston MA 02111-1307, USA.
 *
 */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <sys/bproc.h>

int
main(int argc,char **argv)
{
int node;
int retval;
struct timeval master_time;

	if(argc!=2)
	{
		fprintf(stderr,"Usage: %s <node>\n",argv[0]);
		exit(1);
	}

	node=atoi(argv[1]);

	retval=gettimeofday(&master_time,NULL);
	if(retval==-1)
	{
		fprintf(stderr,"error getting current time\n");
		exit(1);
	}

	retval=_bproc_move(node,BPROC_DUMP_ALL);
	if(retval==-1)
	{
		printf("error moving to node %d: %s\n",node,strerror(errno));
		exit(1);
	}

	retval=settimeofday(&master_time,NULL);
	if(retval==-1)
	{
		fprintf(stderr,"error setting node time\n");
		exit(1);
	}

	return 0;
}

I banged this up so that I could feel comfortable running Beowulf services
on my laptop (although my nodes are hosted in VMware)

Regards,
	Dan Ridge
	Scyld Computing Corporation