Why no rlogin to nodes?

Jag agrajag at linuxpower.org
Tue Dec 12 13:30:10 PST 2000

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Daniel Ridge wrote:

> Walt,
>
> <shameless>
> Run Scyld Beowulf! Our nodes don't even have inetd -- let alone
> rsh, telnet, or ftp daemons!
> </shameless>

I noticed that when you install Scyld Beowulf, that while the slave
nodes don't run much, it looks like every service possible was turned on
for the head node, from finger, telnet, lpd, smtp, ntalk, even apache's
running.  I can understand the head node needing to run some services,
but I think this is a bit much.  What are the services that are required
to be running for Scyld to function properly?  I'd like to turn all the
others off, minus sshd.

Also, if there's a good reason for why someone might want to leave one
of the non-required services on, I'd be more than willing to listen to
it.

Jag