Problems Creating/Overwriting partition tables on the slave nodes.

Andrew Shewmaker shew0469 at cs.uidaho.edu
Fri Dec 8 16:36:24 PST 2000

Robert,

Your situation reminded me of what my classmates and I experienced.  I
wasn't present for the fix, but I asked one of the others (Wade) if
we would describe it to me.

Wade wrote:

The problem we were having is that the old systems that we wanted to use as
nodes had a pre-existing Linux install. When we did the partition table
copying step, I seem to remember we got an error message saying the
partition tables on the nodes couldn't be written.

Brad used another Linux CD he had to boot up the node machines in rescue
(because we didn't know the root password on the existing Linux installs),
and used dd to zero out the first 512 bytes of the disk (destroying whatever
evil in the existing partition tables was breaking Scyld's attempts to write
a new partition table to those machines.)

I honestly don't remember where we found the tip to that. I thought it was
in the Scyld documentation, but now I can't find it.

Anyway, after that, we rebooted the nodes with Scyld boot floppies, and did
everything by the book. It worked exactly the way it was supposed to.

Wade
----

If bpsh works, then you might be able to zero out all of the nodes at once.

I hope this helps,

Andrew Shewmaker