Chipsets and memory speed...

Karl Bellve Karl.Bellve at umassmed.edu
Mon Dec 4 09:40:20 PST 2000

I know this isn't the appropriate place to ask this question but I
believe people on this list might know the answer.

I am looking for a chip set (motherboard) that can easily handle 2 PCI
cards streaming 50-60MB/sec each. One is moving data from the main
memory and the other is putting data into main memory. I have an Intel
L440GX motherboard that can handle one PCI card but not both. The second
card (SCSI Raid) takes a huge hit in performance when the first card is
running. The L440GX motherboard has two independent PCI buses with each
card on a separate bus. So, I don't believe it is a PCI performance
problem but a memory bandwidth issue.

I have been looking at the Serverworks chipsets. Any ideas if the HS
chipset can handle this? Does the HS chipset allow both CPUs to access
main memory simultaneously? I believe the L440GX doesn't allow both CPUs
to access main memory at the same time. Because of this, I have only
installed one CPU into the L440GX. Since the software I am writing that
needs this bandwidth does use threads, having a second CPU might avoid
thread context switching but it doesn't get around the memory problem.

Any ideas?

--
Cheers,

Karl Bellve, Ph.D.                   ICQ # 13956200
Biomedical Imaging Group             TLCA# 7938
University of Massachusetts
Email: Karl.Bellve at umassmed.edu
Phone: (508) 856-6514
Fax:   (508) 856-1840