HD cloning

Michael D. Bartberger mdb at chem.ucla.edu
Mon Dec 4 06:48:17 PST 2000

Hi Rich:

Just recently, I needed to do this about a dozen times.

If you're using Red Hat, then this becomes pretty easy.
You can use 'dd'  and specify the device names for the two drives;
e.g.   /dev/sda and /dev/sdb  for two SCSI drives in a machine.

Alternatively (and I was pleasantly surprised to find this),
GNU 'cp'  recognizes /dev devices as such.  I cloned a few drives
(including partition information, boot sector, etc.)   with

cp /dev/sda /dev/sdb

which made perfect clones.   I'm told this works just fine for
/dev/hda    etc.  IDE variants.   I cloned 36 GB  10K RPM
SCSI drives in about 11 minutes each, using one drive as
the source and just sticking drive after drive into the
box, a little further down the SCSI cable.   Worked perfectly.

Check www.deja.com/usenet  for more discussion about cloning
drives under Linux (in fact, this is where I learned about
GNU 'cp'  correctly copying devices like this).

Good luck,
-Mike

----