HD cloning

Rob Latham rlatham at plogic.com
Mon Dec 4 06:12:22 PST 2000

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 01:53:21PM +0000, Rich Grenyer wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with cloning hard drives for cluster
> installations? Our cluster needs fully functional disk-based nodes
> unfortunately, and I don't feel like running through the RedHat
> installation procedure that many times - any suggestions, or am I
> just being lazy?

redhat's kickstart:  not the best documented, but good enough.  there
	are example ks.cfg 's on the cd.  once you write one ks.cfg
	template, you can generate ks disks for all N nodes in your
	cluster

systemimager:  (www.systemimager.org) requires a bit more
	infrastructure (a dhcp server and an image server), but after
	installing one machine the other machines install with out any
	babysitting (that's the theory. and in practice it's 'pretty
	close' if you don't have exotic hardware )

i'm sure there are others.  those are the two i've played with.  For
what it's worth, for our needs (many different clusters) making
kickstart disks won out over systemimager, primarily because of disk
space.

==rob

--
[ Rob Latham <rlatham at plogic.com>         Developer, Admin, Alchemist ]