newbie: 16-node 500Mbps design

Greg Lindahl glindahl at hpti.com
Mon Aug 28 13:52:21 PDT 2000

> > I could also say anyone who runs experimental kernels on a
> production system
> > deserves what they get.
>
> oh, you mean excellent performance and improved stability?
> yes, you're right.  if you're satisfied with 2.2, good for you!
>
> but it's just plain dishonest to pretend that 2.2 is better than 2.4
> because it's code is, uh, "more mature".

Um, just in case anyone is wondering:

2.2 and 2.4 are both stable kernels. 2.4 happens to be brand new.

2.3 was experimental.

This conversation makes me think that people are likely to be confused on
this issue.

And many, many people would not find it dishonest to prefer 2.2 over 2.4,
because although 2.4 has received much more testing than any release of 2.3,
2.4 is still new. No pretending required; it's a simple fact. When 2.4 hits
version 2.4.5 or so and starts shipping in major distributions, then it will
be considered mature.

-- g