Facilities Requirements for Beowulf Clusters?

Robert Marshall rmarshal at texas.net
Mon Aug 21 12:53:46 PDT 2000

<snip>

> > I realise I can calculate the power requirements and compare them
> > to what's available in the room, but A/C is a little tougher.  Have
> > any of you tried jamming 16 to 32 nodes in a small room that's
> typically
> > kept at around 22C (72F) with any success?  I hear about a number of
> > medium-sized systems like the one I'm getting ready to acquire,
> > and I wonder if people are really going all out to spend extra
> > bucks on the facilities?

<snip>

I opened a home consulting business in December of 1998 in one bedroom
(Southeast facing) of a four-bedroom two-story home in San Antonio. In
December of 1999 I built and placed online a 10-CPU cluster. Here are my
increases in energy costs for starting my business and for operating my
cluster;

Note that columns are cumulative for the year, and that the second two
columns represent rising cost in dollars based on then current price of
electricity,

		Ave usage 	ACFM elect.  Cluster Computer
		before ACFM	cost		 Electricity cost
		1994-1997	1998-1999	 2000
Month		(kwh)		$0.066/kwh	$0.066/kwh

January	 2,305 	 $5.25 	$21.09