Image Processing on a BeoWulf

Mark Lucas mlucas at imagelinks.com
Sun Aug 20 08:10:11 PDT 2000

Looking for some guidance on our strategy for satellite and aerial
image processing on a BeoWulf cluster.  We have successfully added
PVM into our production software.  Essentially, very large image
processing jobs are sectioned into image tiles and the tiles are
farmed out to the nodes for the mathematical transformations (image
processing functions, image space to world space to map projection
space transformations).  On individual jobs this works very well as
the process is extremely CPU bound. As a result we are seeing close
to linear scaling on individual jobs.  For each job we use all of the
available processors in the cluster.

Our desire is to allow many jobs to be initiated ad-hoc by the
production operators or by web based clients and take advantage of
the parallelism and scaling offered by the cluster.  Whenever we have
attempted that we seem to lock the system up.   We see the same
symptoms when we inadvertently schedule a single job and ask for more
processors than are currently available.  We currently have a work
around in place - we implemented a queue that lines up the submitted
jobs sequentially.  This certainly is not optimal as small jobs have
to wait behind large ones.

We are learning as we go and are looking for advice and guidance.  is
this expected behavior from PVM?  Will we need to look at MPI?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, We will be in Atlanta showing this off (hopefully on more than
one job at a time :-) )

Thanks,
Mark
--