lperfex 0.5 available

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Thu Aug 10 11:57:13 PDT 2000

Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that lperfex 0.5 is now available.  Lperfex is a
hardware performance monitoring tool for Linux/IA32 systems, based on
Erik Hendriks' performance patch.  If you've used Cray's hpm or SGI's
perfex, then lperfex should seem fairly familiar.  If not, think of
lperfex as a variation on the time command which can also track
low-level hardware events like floating point operations, cache
misses, and so on.  It is not intrusive into the code whose
performance it measures and does not require special compilation or
code instrumentation.

Lperfex 0.5 fixes a number of bugs in the version 0.3 release,
particularly in command line argument handling.  Bug reports and
suggestions for new features are welcomed.

Documentation and code for lperfex is available from
http://www.osc.edu/~troy/lperfex/.  The code is licensed under the
GPL.  To use it, you need to be running Linux with Erik Hendriks'
performance counters patch and library v0.7 (available from
http://www.beowulf.org/software/) on an Intel P6 core processor
(i.e. PPro/P2/P3/Xeon/Celeron).  The libperf library and Linux kernel
patches that are distributed with recent versions of the PerfAPI code
should also be compatible, although I haven't had a chance to test
that yet.

      --Troy
Troy Baer                       email:  troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    phone:  614-292-9701
Ohio Supercomputer Center       web:  http://oscinfo.osc.edu