[Beowulf-announce] Postdoctoral positions available for Grid/Beowulf Computing

Bruce Allen ballen at dirac.phys.uwm.edu
Wed Jun 12 16:52:01 PDT 2002

The Gravitational Wave Detection group at the University of Wisconsin -
Milwaukee has postdoctoral positions open in grid/beowulf computing.
We operate a 300-node 300 Gflop beowulf cluster with approximately
24 TB of disk space. Please see http://www.lsc-group.phys.uwm.edu for
information about the group, and the cluster.

Please see
http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/LIGO_web/sidebar/fellowships.html#uwm1
for an on-line version of the advertisement below.

     POSTDOCTORAL POSITIONS IN GRAVITATIONAL-WAVE SOURCE MODELING,
     GRAVITATIONAL-WAVE DATA ANALYSIS, AND GRID COMPUTING

     The Physics Department at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
     invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in
     gravitational-wave source modeling, gravitational-wave data analysis,
     and grid computing. One position is available immediately, and
     one or more additional positions are expected to become available
     between July 1, 2002 and Sept 1, 2002.

     The Center for Gravitational Physics at UWM consists of four faculty
     members (Bruce Allen, Patrick Brady, John Friedman, and Leonard
     Parker), Visiting Assistant Professor Alan Wiseman, Staff Scientist
     Scott Koranda, a number of postdocs (Jolien Creighton, Benjamin Owen,
     and Koji Uryu) and several graduate students. An additional faculty
     member is being actively recruited. The research interests of our
     faculty include quantum and classical gravitation, relativistic
     astrophysics, quantum field theory in curved spacetime and its
     relation to cosmology and black hole physics, gravitational-wave
     generation and detection, and cosmological large-scale structure.

     Members of the Center for Gravitational Physics play an
     important role in the LIGO Scientific Collaboration (LSC)
     concentrating on data analysis for the LIGO-I experiment. See
     http://www.lsc-group.phys.uwm.edu for details. We are also active
     in the Grid Physics Network (GriPhyN) and International Virtual
     Data Grid (IVDGL) computing collaborations. See www.griphyn.org
     and www.ivdg1.org for further details.

     We seek PhD-level scientists with expertise in gravitational physics,
     grid and high-performance scientific computing, data analysis
     algorithm and code development, gravitational-wave data analysis,
     or related topics.

     The group at UWM has excellent large-scale computing facilities,
     including a recently-completed 300-node Linux computing cluster. In
     coming years, we will be serving as one of the LSC Tier-II computing
     centers, supporting a variety of LSC computing activities.

     Applicants should send a CV, publication list, and a brief statement
     of their research interests to:

          Joyce Miezen, LSC Postdoc Search Committee
          joycem at csd.uwm.edu
          Physics Department
          University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
          Milwaukee, WI 53201
          Fax: 414-229-5589

     They should also arrange to have three letters of recommendation
     sent to this address. Applications will be considered at any time,
     provided positions remain open. As of June 12 2002, three positions
     remain open.

     UWM is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.