[3c509] problems with autonegotiation for full duplex mode

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue Oct 1 02:32:00 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Mike Stich wrote:

> To: 3c509@scyld.com
> Subject: [3c509] problems with autonegotiation for full duplex mode
>
> I'm having problems with my 3com 905b Cyclone NIC and
> it's inability to autonegotiate to full duplex.

This is the 3c509 list.  You should be using the "vortex@scyld.com"
mailing list for this question.

> I'm using Linux kernel 2.5.39 (doesn't work in 2.4.19
> or 2.4.20pre8 either):

Try using the unmodified driver from scyld.com.  It will likely fix your
problem.

> dmesg output for the 3c59x module:
> 3c59x: Donald Becker and others.
> www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html

This didn't include the verison number, but you are obviously using a
modified driver.
> mii-diag output:
> Using the default interface 'eth0'.
> Basic registers of MII PHY #24:  3000 780d 0040 6120 0141 0000 0000 0000.

You are only advertising full duplex media types.
Either your configuration EEPROM has been modified to non-standard
settings, or you set the full_duplex setting for the interface.

> and mii-tool won't let me adjust anything because
> apparently it doesn't detect the card.

Interesting.

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com