[3c509] Problem with 3c905b after Linux kernel upgrade

martin@easysoft.com martin@easysoft.com
Sun Jan 13 19:05:01 2002

I have a 3c509b working fine in linux 2.2.18 but when booting into
2.4.17 networking stops working. I believe I have the same
kernel options enabled.

>From 2.4.18 a ping seems to send a packet out but nothing
comes back. I can see the ping transmitting as my ascend pipeline
LEDs flash. When I look at ifconfig output it shows packets
transmitted and received but no network programs are working.

I noticed one difference between the two.
In 2.2.18 I only get one:

eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.

in dmesg but in 2.4.17 I get

eth0: Setting Rx mode to 0 addresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.

Apart from that the two kernels seem to pick a different
interrupt old 12, new 5.

Any ideas?

Martin
Ref: http://www.scyld.com/mailman/listinfo/3c509