[3c509] Cannot bring up two 3c509 cards

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sat Feb 16 19:15:02 2002

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, J. David Blackstone wrote:

>   I've added a second 3c509 to my RedHat 7.2 system, and I cannot seem to
> get both cards activated.
>
>   dmesg reports both cards as being IRQ 5.  How can I tell the second card
> to use a different IRQ?  I've specified a different one in
> /etc/modules.conf, as suggested in the Ethernet HOWTO:
>
> alias eth0 3c509
> alias eth1 3c509
> options eth0 -o 3c509-0 irq=5
> options eth1 -o 3c509-1 irq=7

I don't know where you read this, but the advice to load multiple
instances of the 3c509 module was wrong.

The subsequent module load will deactivate previously detected chips.

You should only have the following two lines.

alias eth0 3c509
alias eth1 3c509

>   I'm looking at the isapnp utilities trying to find a way to change the
> IRQ.  Am I looking in the right place?

It depends on if you are using the native 3c509 activation, or PnP
activation.  I recommend 3c509 (non-PnP) activation for 3c509 cards.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993